Thursday, June 10, 2010

Life by timer

We have discovered something recently. Josh thinks setting timers is cool. We can get him to do almost anything if we set a timer. He even reminds us. Our conversation this morning:

"You can watch a few more minutes of Blue's Clues and then we have to have lunch."

Silence.

A few minutes later.

"Okay Josh, time to eat."

"No Mommy. When the timer beeps, then we have lunch."

"Oh, we need to set the timer?"

"Yes, when the timer beeps, we eat lunch!" (Duh Mom)

Set timer. For 1 minute.

1 minute later. "BEEEEEEEP"

"Oh WAIT Mom!!!" (Josh's phrase when something reeeeally exciting happens) "The timer beeeeeeping!!"

"Oh my goodness, it IS beeping Josh! So what are we going to do now?"

"Eat lunch!"

I wish I could say that setting the timer meant no tantrums. But he's 2. But it at least helps me stay sane. :)

5 comments:

Christine said...

Fun. Now try, "when the timer beeps, the tantrum's over."

Anna White said...

oooo, good idea christine!!!!

Marianne said...

I was going to say the same thing Christine did!! I wonder if it will work??

Janssen said...

Very nice - I am similarly motivated by a timer!

BWei said...

That is hilarious and awesome--I SO wish I could motivate Clara by a timer. Ah well...perhaps later in life?